Contact Elder Tommy Webber

Contact Elder Tommy Webber

thomas.webber@myldsmail.net

Washington Tacoma Mission
4007 Bridgeport Way West, Suite D
Tacoma, WA 98466-4330

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Manette: Jeremy blesses the sacrament. One on Date at Church!

Dearest Family,

This week was awesome. Seriously things are good here. Jeremy is doing SO good. I'm so proud of him. He got a job that he started this week doing construction on Bainbridge Island. He said it was cold, wet, hard work, but he's happy to be doing something. We taught him about patriarchal blessings and family history and we'll be going with him this Saturday to the family history center to get him started and then hopefully pick a date to go the the temple with him to do baptisms for the dead. He has a lot of friends at church too, and wee're still trying to bring members to our visits with him. Our ward mission leader had a great idea for his new member lessons. We gave him a copy of Preach My Gospel on Sunday and opened to chapter 3. We asked him to read and study the lessons and then he is going to teach them to us! It will be fun, like a reverse role play. And he wanted us to come over with another young couple in the ward this Sunday for dinner :)

Tina is doing super also. We taught her the plan of Salvation this week and she could really feel the spirit. We brought over a couple members, including our saintly Relief Society President, Sister Wahlquist who is from the Philippines and they got to fellowship. Tina is in her late 50s and lives alone with her little dog "Romeo" who keeps her company and lifts her spirits. She is totally open to the message we share and willing to live it. She has a lot of health problems and several seizures in the past that have impaired her memory, which make it kinda hard to teach her, but she is still excited. The coolest part was after teaching her about the Atonement and reading Alma 7:11-15 (which transitions beautifully from the Atonement into baptism) we asked if she had any questions and she only replied, "so when can I get baptized?" ha, ha so we worked out a date for March 9th, which is her birthday. She could be ready sooner, but this is what she wants. Also she has been keeping the Word of Wisdom since she met with our Bishop 3 weeks ago, and we haven't even taught her that yet. :) Our mission goal this week was to have 65 investigators both at church and on date (one of our key indicators) and we got Tina on date and at church! She came all 3 hours and loved it. Our ward is good at being friendly to new people, which is nice. Especially since we still don't know all the members yet, though we try to say hi to everyone as they come in.

Manette District
I came across this quote this week and really liked it:
"Strength and struggle go together. The supreme reward of struggle is strength. Life is a battle and the greatest joy is to overcome. The pursuit of easy things makes men weak. Do not equip yourself with superior power and hope to escape the responsibility and the work. It cannot be done. It is following the lines of least resistance that makes rivers and men crooked." - Ralph Parlette
I believe missionaries have been endowed and set apart with "superior power" and a mission is a battle of struggles, responsibility, and work. To have joy is to overcome and become stronger. My experiences and struggles on my mission I would not trade for anything, because they have made me who I am. I know that the Savior descended below all things so He could overcome all things and have the power to help us overcome our struggles if we trust Him. I love my Savior Jesus Christ because He loves me and has done so much for me. I feel joy daily as I repent and rely on Him. Missionary work is the best :)

Elder MacCarthy making Lunch
Have a great week everyone,
Love Elder Webber

Scripture: D&C 31:1-3 (really the whole section) (I came across this yesterday. It automatically applied to me!)

P.S. Elder Green and I will be in the temple on Thursday at 1:30 p.m. for Dennis' endowment!!! YAY! I am so unexplainably excited for that. (I don't think that was a real word, but it's the best I could come up with ha, ha)

No comments:

Post a Comment