Contact Elder Tommy Webber

Contact Elder Tommy Webber

thomas.webber@myldsmail.net

Washington Tacoma Mission
4007 Bridgeport Way West, Suite D
Tacoma, WA 98466-4330

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Steilacoom: Another baptism, Cesar's missionary efforts, and a great Elma Fireside

Dear Family,

We had a fun week with lots of rain, a weirdly sunny day, and daylight savings! That means that there will be no more knocking doors in the dark! (until September comes again) It's funny, I remember when it started getting darker in the winter, I was complaining about it and wondering if I would ever see the sun again, but now it is weird knocking in the daylight, it's like everyone can see us... But I am grateful for the sun. I probably shouldn't say this, but the best kept secret in Washington is that it really doesn't rain that much. We'll have days of sunshine in between. And it doesn't rain hard, but it can rain for a long period of time.

In our mission we have weekly scriptures we memorize and weekly goals for key indicators. This week was "Books of Mormon placed", and this coming week is "lessons with members present." We have an ongoing mission goal of 500 "lessons with" in a week. And our mission goal for baptisms for the month of March is 100.

Baptismal Service with Sisters
Speaking of, we had another baptism this week in the Steilacoom ward, a man the sisters found named Tom. They were knocking doors one night and saw Tom out on his porch, smoking. He had quit smoking for 27 years and had just fallen back in the habit in the last month. Because he was outside, the sisters talked to him. God works in mysterious ways?? But he was looking for a church and upon reading the Book of Mormon, gained a testimony of its truth and was soon baptized. Elder Schaffner got to confirm him a member yesterday at church. The week before, we got to participate in one of his lessons, on the Word of Wisdom. After the lesson he asked us elders for a blessing to help him give up the smoking again. We provided the blessing, and he told us he hasn't had the urge since. How great to have the priesthood power in our lives.


Cesar, our other outstanding recent convert has been with us twice this week, and yesterday blessed the sacrament. On Wednesday we spent from 8:00 a.m. personal study (we did at the church) until 8:30 p.m. our last lesson of the day. And all day on his bike! (Remember though he is not afraid to ride bikes. He is super fit and was actually riding circles around us all day ha, ha). It rained all day and most of our lessons and visits fell through. On Saturday he met us at the church and we talked about how to administer the sacrament. He then asked if he could spend the rest of that day with us. Saturday was the rainiest day of the week. By 7:30 we were drenched. We had an appointment with Tiffany and Haopeng, who we hadn't seen in two weeks. They were home and we were able to teach and help them back to where they were when we left off. The best part of the lesson was when Haopeng came into the room, very interested in Cesar's conversion. He asked him what it was like to be baptized, how he felt before and after, and what his family thought. Cesar has difficulty opening up about his past and some personal thoughts, but he described an amazing conversion process that began years before we knocked on his door. He powerfully testified of the gospel and the Church of Jesus Christ and confirmed our words as missionaries. Cesar needs to go on a mission. He is an amazing example. Tiffany came to church yesterday!

We also had (finally!) Rebecca at church Sunday, with her 7 year old daughter. Elder Schaffner spoke, and they had a great experience. The Steilacoom ward did a great job greeting her, having someone sit with her, answering questions, and being friendly. That can make all the difference. Miracles happen during the 10 minutes before and after sacrament meeting.

Tommy reunites with Elder Green and members from Raymond
Also yesterday was the Elma (not Elmo, dad) fireside. I was so excited to go, hoping to see someone from Raymond there. We had our practice run at 4:00, then went into classrooms to wait until it started. Being one of the choristers, I sat not on the stand, but in the second row of the pews. On the third row was the whole Angelovich family, who housed me and fed me and cared for me for almost 5 months of my mission. Elder Green was in the choir and we were all happy. I was surprised how I remembered all 6 of the children's names. I love that family. The fireside was amazing, very spiritual and I even was asked by Sister Weaver to bear my testimony on the Savior Jesus Christ. In the audience was another family from Raymond, the Hamiltons, and 3 converts who were baptized after I left Raymond. Machel, her son AJ, and Machel's friend Kelsi were all at the fireside. Now my joy was overfilling. These three people were brought to us while I was serving in Raymond, and I did not know they would later join the Church of Jesus Christ, and meet me 5 months later to thank me. I cannot adequately put into words how happy I was. The joy of the gospel of Jesus Christ is not only the deepest, most pure joy we can experience, it is also renewed and refreshed and multiplied over time and through the eternities. Pleasure and worldly joy are a moment and fleeting, but the joy in Christ lasts forever and gets better.

Local creek running toward the Puget Sound
I love being a missionary, I love the Wa-Tac, I love the people I serve, and I love my Savior Jesus Christ more than I can say. I know for myself that He is the Son of God and the Savior of the whole world. He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and the only source for happiness in this life and Eternal Life in the world to come. Without Him I am nothing and with Him, I can become like our Heavenly Father and live with Them and with you, my family, forever. His invitation is to "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30).

All my love to my Webber family.
Elder Webber

Scripture is: 1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 ("Ye (converts and family) are [my] glory and joy").

No comments:

Post a Comment