Contact Elder Tommy Webber

Contact Elder Tommy Webber

thomas.webber@myldsmail.net

Washington Tacoma Mission
4007 Bridgeport Way West, Suite D
Tacoma, WA 98466-4330

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Soundview: Knock-a-thon and a Miracle Text

Note from Tommy's dad - Sorry this is almost a week late

Dear Family,

This morning Elder Holt flew home to Utah! Now it's just back to me and Elder Slavens. We'll miss him and the fun he added in our tri-panionship. We had a lot of good times together, laughing about the things that happen every day as a missionary. Mission life is crazy, but it's so much fun. He definitely had me thinking more of home, which might be bad, I don't want to get "trunky."

In my last letter from grandma, she told me that Allyson and McKay had a good 2 year anniversary (Happy Anniversary by the way!!!! Sorry this is late...) at the San Diego Zoo, which is funny because last P-day we went to the Point Defiance Zoo in Tacoma, as a zone. It is much smaller than San Diego, but it was still fun. A good mental brake from the work, as we got to laugh at monkeys, elephants, sharks, polar bears, and walruses... oh my.
Guess which Elder has 2 days left, hint: sunglasses, animal tie, shoes

Tommy and a Tiger

Much has happened with the work his week. The best part was probably Friday. We had planned to have an all-day "knock-a-thon," which none of us had ever done before! From 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. with lunch/dinner breaks! We mainly were in Tacoma, and went to University Place for the evening. Total we were out for at least 8 hours and knocked on 258 doors (I counted ha, ha). As an aside, Elder Slavens and Elder Holt keep telling me I'm going to be a ward clerk someday.... Anyway, we got all excited about our "Finding Friday" and had a lot of fun. Knocking doors is where you get the best moments and memories, meet the craziest people, and have some awesome miracles, direct or indirect.
Knock-a-thon schedule

And the actual knocking...

The indirect miracle came at about 3:00 pm, 5 hours into our knocking. We've been working with Cleo and her non-member daughter Deborah, as you know. They both came to our Book of Mormon study class we had Thursday night, just the night before. We had read and discussed 2 Nephi 31, which explains the Doctrine of Christ (faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end). Deborah sent us a text that read,
"So I have made the decision to be baptized. Please help me arrange this. Thank you for being there."
I was the first to read it and then gave the phone to my companions. I've never had anything like that happen on my mission, we were so excited, beyond belief! Deborah is a very private person, but something from church, our visits, or the Book of Mormon has touched her and she now wants to be baptized. She still has some issues to work out, but if everything goes well, she could be baptized this weekend! We are super excited for her and Cleo. And Cleo by the way is an awesome member. She is soaking up everything in the church and was recognized yesterday at church as a new member to the ward because her records came in. That was pretty cool.

Speaking of church, yesterday was great. I'm really growing to love church. As I prepare for it, spiritually, I find enrichment and questions answered and worries soothed. Brother Rodriguez, a recent convert family from March gave a talk and great testimony, and we had a farewell talk by Jacob. He is 18 and graduated this year and leaves soon for his mission to Orlando Florida!! I told him to look out for Bishop Grover :).  Jacob is an awesome young man, and reminds me of where I was a year + ago. Their family is great and his older brother is on a mission in South Africa and his younger brother played "I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go" on cello with their mom on piano. Beautiful performance. Cleo and Deborah came to church also.

Some more updates: Tiffany came to our Book of Mormon class, but was sick yesterday morning for church. Later that day, Sunday, she was invited to our Bishop's home for dinner! We have an awesome Bishop. His wife and Tiffany have become friends. Another member of the church was there at dinner also, who we think will make a great friend for Tiffany. That's inspired missionary work. We're meeting Tiffany at the family history center this week to help her get some family names for an upcoming temple trip for recent converts in the ward!
Our faithful Soundview Ward Mission Leader, waiting outside for invitees

We're excited about the work. Soundview is so awesome. It's weird to think I've been here for nearly 6 months. It flies by. You are always in my prayers, I love you so much,

Elder Webber

Scriptures: I have been thinking and studying a lot about the Resurrection this week. See Elder D. Todd Christofferson's talk: "The Resurrection of Jesus Christ" https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/04/the-resurrection-of-jesus-christ?lang=eng  (Dad, you can make the link thing work haha)
Job 19:25-26
Alma 40:23
**Luke 24:39-40
Hymn # 136 "I Know That My Redeemer Lives"




Zone Conf pictures:
Lesson

Lunch

Group Shot


No comments:

Post a Comment